Discussion Topics

« Return to Announcements

Upcoming Webinar on Using Box Cloud Platform for Free!

Join us March 10th at 7am PST for a webinar on how the advanced Box platform can benefit your social enterprise and how you can use Box for FREE. Bryan Breckenridge from Box and Pamela Roussos from the GSBI will be leading this discussion you don't want to miss!
To register follow this link:

https://attendee.gotowebinar. com/register/ 160226696684945665

We hope to hear from you on March 10th!

Edited Mon, Mar 9, 2015 9:02 AM

Replies to this Topic

Thanks for organizing this, it was a useful webinar and for us came at a timely point. We've been wanting to migrate off of Dropbox for a while because of their politics.

Upsides compared to Dropbox:

* Having 100Gb storage will be great - we'll never get close to that amount, but ran out of Dropbox

Downsides:

* Biggest challenge seems the seat limit - 10 seems fine, we are only 3 people. BUT anyone - even with their own Box account, who has write access to one of your folders counts against it. Over the last year we've had 4 external engineers who shared specific folders. Our investors have access to a shared folder (Their are 4 staff there), and I have one board member who has access to some board files - so thats 12 seats even though we are only really 3 people.

Unlike Dropbox, people who are in our group can't be in other shared environments e.g. their family and still Sync on the same box account, its still not clear to me how this works, but it sounds like the team member has to create a private folder.  (I'll see the folder, but not the content) and then invite their family into it - who then count against our seats. It doesn't seem that you can do this independently of participation in the company account.

My take is that for purely internal work its going to be fine, but anything collaborated with other orgs or friends you are going to want to setup separately on Dropbox because if I have to buy a $15/month Box seat for every external collaborator (even if they have their own Box account) its going to get very pricey very quickly, and this isn't a problem on Dropbox where volume limits are unlikely to apply for most collaborations.

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

GSBI Alumni